Since today is the worldwide global giving movement tagged #GivingTuesday, it only seems appropriate to detail where the money goes that we raise. Specifically, our funds go to the Pat Boland Memorial Internship Fund run by Penn State’s College of Communications. The college uses the fund to aid deserving students who are interning around the country (the intern positions are often unpaid and can be a real financial burden to a student.
The Santa Crawl has become the largest annual donor to the Boland Fund. We’ve been fortunate to raise over $10,000 each of the last couple of years, bringing our total contribution to the Fund to over $40,000. Because of our, and others, efforts, the Boland Fund is fully funded and has been granting awards for the last five years. The 2017 recipients of the award were:
- Megan Ammon, a sophomore communications major from Williston VT, who interned at the ECHO Leahy Center in Lake Champlain, VT.
- Alex Spinelli, a senior journalism major from Nesconset NY, who interned at Excel Sports Management in New York, NY.
Megan and Alex became the seventh and eighth recipients of the Boland Award. Other winners in past years were:
- Brendan Zipfel, Telecommunications major from Harleysville; who interned at WTAJ Johnstown
- Victoria Burdo, from Wayne, PA, 7th semester Journalism major; who interned at 97.5 The Fanatic, Philadelphia, PA
- Pier Lopez, Ardmore, PA, 6th semester Telecommunications major; who interned at MORE FM 101.1 Bala Cynwyd, PA
- Adenike Samuel, Broadcast journalism major from the Bronx; who interned at Roc Nation, record label under Live Nation owned by Jay-Z
- Erin Foertsch, AD/PR major from Mountain Top PA; who interned with the Wilkes Barre Scranton Railriders minor league baseball team
- Cali Wojciechowski, communications major from Allentown, who interned at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in Bethlehem PA
Come join us in 12 days to have some fun and support a worthy cause while doing so.