I had the pleasure of stopping by the College of Communications offices earlier this week to drop off the funds that we raised during this year’s Santa Crawl. Thanks to the kindness of all of you, we managed to raise $12,260 for the Pat Boland Memorial Fund. That brings our six year totals to well over $40,000. A very big thank you to all.
Just as a reminder, the funds that we raise go to support College of Communications students who are going on internships. Quite often those internships are without pay and that can significantly strap many students who may already be deep in debt from college loans. These cash awards help ease that burden.
To date the Boland Fund has granted awards to six College of Communications students. Those six are:
- Brendan Zipfel, Telecommunications major from Harleysville; who interned at WTAJ Johnstown
- Victoria Burdo, from Wayne, PA, 7th semester Journalism major; who interned at 97.5 The Fanatic, Philadelphia, PA
- Pier Lopez, Ardmore, PA, 6th semester Telecommunications major; who interned at MORE FM 101.1 Bala Cynwyd, PA
- Adenike Samuel, Broadcast journalism major from the Bronx; who interned at Roc Nation, record label under Live Nation owned by Jay-Z
- Erin Foertsch, AD/PR major from Mountain Top PA; who interned with the Wilkes Barre Scranton Railriders minor league baseball team
- Cali Wojciechowski, communications major from Allentown, who interned at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in Bethlehem PA
The awards are granted in the spring, so look for an update later this year on the recipients of this years Boland Award.